Windows Live SkyDrive is one of best and safest way of storing and sharing your documents and multimedia files online. It offers you 25 GB of free, password-protected online storage, probably the best alternative to Google Docs when compared to the amount of free storage space!
You can upload individual files to skydrive but not as folders. You need to create a folder in skydrive and upload the files therein. However you can do this using the Map Network Drive feature in Windows.
How to Upload Folders to SkyDrive
- Log into SkyDrive using your Windows Live account.
- Select the main folder from SkyDrive (the one you are uploading folders to).
- Copy your SkyDrive cid from the address bar as shown below:
- Then open Map network drive from your Computer:You can also open it by right-clicking Computer icon from desktop:
- Select any Drive letter(never mind which one!) you want to use and enter the following string into the Folder:
- Only an album or a primary folder in the SkyDrive can be mapped, the entire SkyDrive or the subfolders cannot be mapped.
- The folder name must exists or you can create your own in SkyDrive. It may contain spaces.
- Don’t forget to use the back-slash and the name of the folder properly.
- Click on Finish and log-in to Windows Live when prompted.
- After you sign-in you’ll see a new drive in your computer.
- You can start copying folders/files to this drive. You may not get the usual copying speed (like between windows folders) since this is uploading of files to the web! You can disconnect from the network once you finished as shown below:
Hope this tutorial was useful.
Anand Srivastava is an entrepreneur, internet marketing expert and a technocrat.
You can reach him at email@example.com