Search engine optimization is important for any website, but for e-commerce shops it is vital. Online stores rely on sales conversions to make revenue – you can think of it like foot traffic – and without strong placement in the search engine rankings, it is like opening your store in a back alley in the least busy place in town. There are many ways to boost your e-commerce website’s rankings, but it starts with a multi-pronged strategy. Google and other search engines are the main drags of the Internet and having a successful SEO campaign is all about ensuring that your website lands on the first page when a series of search queries is made. Here are five essential SEO tips for e-commerce website.
- Start a blog. A blog is an essential tool to have as a web shop. Not only will a blog get people to keep coming back to your website, it will also allow you to boost your rankings on the search engines. The reason why a blog is so helpful when it comes to SEO is because it allows you to plug in keywords and build back links.
- Don’t over crowd keywords on your blog. When you do start a blog, you want to use keywords wisely. Moreover, you don’t want to have blog posts that are irrelevant and don’t make any sense. So, when you are building keywords, make sure to use density as your guide. Keeping the range around 4% will allow you to add a few choice keywords throughout your blog. If your density is higher than that, your website could get a penalty. A penalty could send your e-commerce shop to the very back of the search engine, which is somewhere you never want to be.
- Optimize your images. When you have an e-commerce shop, there is a good chance that you will be uploading a lot of images of products. So how do you turn this standard practice into one of your most lucrative SEO tasks? These product images can be a great way to increase your site’s optimization. So, make sure that you name your images using unique keywords and keyword queries. For instance, instead of having a simple string of numbers for a product image, you can title the image “little black dress spring collection 2014″ and then your company name.
- Use links wisely. Your blog is a great arena to use links to your e-commerce shop’s advantage. These back links are powerful in raising your store’s placement on the search engines. However, you want to make sure that the links make sense. For instance, instead of hyperlinking a keyword and having it go someplace random, make sure that it goes somewhere useful.
- Don’t underestimate the power of link sharing. There are a lot of different blogs out there and it should be your goal to get a link on those blogs. The more links you have in the blogosphere, the stronger your SEO will be. So, it may be wise to research some fashion blogs and then ask the blog administrator or creator to place a link to your shop in the blogroll section. After a few weeks, you may notice traffic making a huge spike.