– Create a calm and quiet sleeping environment. Apartment complexes, dormitories and residences can be noisy and disturbing establishments. Wearing earplugs or an eye mask while sleeping can help reduce or even eliminate noise and light that can disrupt sleep. Putting a fan on, playing relaxing music or investing in a white noise machine can help drown out other noise. Full block-out curtains are ideal for entirely eliminating light filtering in from the outside. Ensure that your mattress is supportive and comfortable, read these Mlily mattress reviews.
– Only use your bed for sleep. Don’t work, do homework, study or do any activity in your bed other than sleep. This will help train your brain and body to associate your bed with sleep and only sleep.
– Avoid all substances that are stimulating at least 3 to 4 hours before going to bed. These substances include caffeinated beverages (tea, coffee, sodas), nicotine and alcohol.
– Reduce your stress levels. If you find falling asleep challenging and are tossing and turning, it is probably due to stress and worry. Deep breathing exercises, meditation, mindfulness activities and yoga can all help reduce your stress levels. Check out the Be Calm section on this website for more hints and tips to alleviate stress.
– Manage your time. Start assignments early and give yourself sufficient time to finish to avoid all-nighters. Get a planner and schedule your activities and work in a way that ensures that you get to bed on time and get enough rest. Organize your work load into smaller chunks to have smaller goals that are easier to achieve.
– Have a regular sleep schedule. Going to sleep at about the same time every night and waking at the same time every morning will establish a sleep cycle.
– Create a bedtime sleep ritual. Dim the lights, turn of electronics and avoid stimulating activities (like exercise) at least an hour before bed. Listen to relaxing music, take a warm bath or shower, meditate or do some other relaxing activity. Your brain will begin associating these activities with sleep.
– Turn off your electronics including the TV, your tablet, phone and PC or laptop at least an hour or two before bed. The light from the screen, sounds and media are stimulating and will prevent you from going to sleep.